Part L2: SBEM Calculations and Energy Performance Certificates
The Simplified Building Energy Model (SBEM) calculation methodology as developed by BRE is the adopted methodology for calculating the energy performance for non-domestic buildings.
It is a requirement of UK Building Regulations that all newly construction non-domestic buildings (which consume energy) have an SBEM calculation carried out to:
- demonstrate compliance with Approved Document L2A of the Building Regulations
- generate an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Typically, SBEM calculations are undertaken at “Design” stage to ensure that the proposed building complies with current building regulations and achieves any related planning conditions. This specification should then be incorporated throughout construction.
These calculations are then updated upon completion of the building to reflect the “As Built” performance of the building. At which stage an EPC will be produced.
Waterstone Design have assisted in providing SBEM calculations for a variety of non-domestic building types from schools to restaurants.
- BREEAM New Construction
- BREEAM Accredited Professional
- U Value Calculations
- Thermal Comfort Analysis (Overheating) Calculations
- Linear Thermal Bridging Analysis
- Daylighting Calculations
- Mechanical and Electrical Services